Anti-aging Natural Benefits Dandelions in Skincare
Ughhh! Those pesky weeds are starting to grow. It’s that time of year again when the grass seems to change from a blanket color of green to vibrant yellow! Yes, you guessed right, dandelions are in full bloom and most homeowner are running to their nearest Home Depot to stock up on weed killer. It’s kind of like the question ” Do you see the glass half empty or half full”? As for me, when driving and I spot a field or someone’s slightly unkept lawn, I see an invaluable treasure of natural healing properties just waiting to be picked! Huh? What? Yep! That’s right, a yard full of medicinal possibilities. Now it’s no wonder why that small but mighty flower tends to carry such an arrogant stance in one’s yard. with it’s super cape flapping in the wind! I must admit, if the dandelion was a super hero, it would be a serious competitor to Superman! Some may argue saying it would be Aqua man but that’s a whole other debate!…lol I will just touch on some of the other benefits that this wonderful flower has and mainly focus on the benefits for the skin. So let’s get to the good stuff on the Anti-aging Natural Benefits Dandelions Skincare shall we?
How Anti-aging Natural Benefits Using Dandelions in Skincare
Dandelion is rich in vitamin C, calcium, iron and vitamin A, which gives it it’s natural, medicinal attributes. Here is a quick breakdown of a few areas dandelion lends its capabilities toward the healing process.
- Bone Health: the vitamin K & calcium help with the growth and strength of bones that suffer from age related issues. A lot of these issues stem from free radicals in our bodies which cause bone weakness and loss of density. Now for me this was awesome news for those who do not like milk or are lactose intolerant. To incorporate this in your daily regimen, you can find dandelion tea in your organic food section at your local grocery store. Not a tea drinker? No problem, you can also get it in the form of a dietary extract from your local health food store.
- Weight Loss: We all sometimes need to lose a few extra pounds for an upcoming event. A quick natural fix or jump start to a healthy regime, dandelions aid in ridding our bodies of extra water weight as a diuretic without all those nasty side effects. One added bonus is that the greens from the dandelions are low in calories and you can consume up to 4 cups at under a 100 calories.
- Diabetes: Helps get rid of extra sugar in the blood stream through urination. A great source to accomplish this is through dandelion juice. It helps stimulation of insulin which in turn helps keep the blood sugar low. Now I firmly believe that if you have a family history of diabetes or your doctor told you, “If you don’t change your eating habits and start incorporating a physical regime, you are at high risk ” Or if he/she said” you are borderline diabetic “; this could be another solution to help aid you in keeping the levels low. This of course with healthy lifestyle. Please before starting any herbal routine and are on medications, consult with your doctor.
- Cancer: Now this topic is very personal to me, being that I have a family history of cancer. Dandelion leaves are high in antioxidants like Luteolin and vitamin C. It also detoxifies the body by ridding the cancer causing radicals. Luteolin actually poisons the cancer cells rendering them ineffective and unable to reproduce.
- Skin: the dandelion milk which is found in the stem of the dandelion contains high levels of alkaline which have germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties. Now let me warn you ahead of time, that you should be careful not to get the sap in your eyes. It will burn. The sap can be used to relieve itching, ringworm, eczema, and other skin conditions without the risk of side effects or hormonal disturbances commonly caused by pharmaceutical skin treatment. Dandelion is wonderful for:
- Anti-aging: due to the rich antioxidants it helps reduce the appearance of age spots, wrinkles and fine lines while firming the skin.
- Acne: since dandelions are known for being a diuretic and a detoxifier, it works really well in healing problematic skin. Since acne stems from toxins and microbial infections, the dandelion works to clear out the accumulation of toxic substances which tend to come out through our sweat glands or sebaceous glands. You can actually take the sap from the stem and apply it to the affected area. The vitamin C aids in faster healing process while fading scars left behind.
Some additional ailments that dandelion can help with are eczema, gall bladder, liver and pancreas problems. This list is not conclusive to all the benefits out there that dandy dandelion gets credit for, however, I just touched on a few which I happen to feel are important to me.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a licensed medical professional. I do not diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any illness or health issue. The information or advice provided here should not be construed as medical advice, and the FDA has not evaluated the herbs and essential oils discussed on this blog. If you chose to use any of the herbal or natural remedies discussed, you will be taking responsibility for your own health and wellness.