Toners..The Stepchild of Our Facial Regimen. Why This Step is Most Important.
by admin on May 26, 2017
We generally won’t use a toner as part of our daily skin care routine because we're unclear of the purpose and see it as an added step that’s simply unnecessary.
- Preferably use a toning pad or cloth and wipe an alcohol-free toner over the skin
- leave the toner slightly damp on your face. Doing so will allow your moisturizer to seal in all the hydrating and performance ingredients deep within the skin.
FIVE BENEFITS OF TONING
- They give your skin a drink of moisture when left damp on the skin before applying moisturize
When left damp on the skin before applying moisturizer, they give an instant boost of hydration. But make sure to only use an alcohol-free toner. Toners that contain alcohol are extremely drying to the skin and should never be used.
- They remove drying chlorines and minerals found in tap water
Chlorine, minerals and chemicals are put into tap water to make it safe for drinking and bathing, but they can be dehydrating to the skin. It’s all that cloudy white stuff that you have to clean off your glass shower doors being left on your skin. Consider a toner the rinse cycle after washing.
- They balance the PH in the skin
If you use a bar of soap or foaming face wash that might dry out the skin due to their low PH balance, a toner will help counteract the dryness that may occur.
- They can enhance the results of your skin care program
Depending on the ingredients used in the toner, they can help calm, control oil, stimulate blood circulation, destroy acne-causing bacteria, provide anti-oxidant benefits and more. Also, recent research confirms that moist skin is actually TEN TIMES more permeable than dry skin. So this means that leaving your skin damp with toner and applying your serum or moisturizer immediately after will allow the active ingredients in those products to penetrate deeper within the skin giving you even better results. So if you’re wanting to maximize the effectiveness of your serum or moisturizer, be sure to use toner!
- They support your skin’s protective barrier
By supplying the skin with essential hydration and nutrients, you repair the skin’s protective barrier making it less sensitive and resistant to environmental damage.
Well, well, well. Now that you know, do you really think toning is still a waste of time? It's okay, your face forgives you. Now that we've cleansed and toned, time to moisturize. But, what to use, cream, oil, serum? What's the difference? I guess you'll have to keep an eye on your email to find out. Until next time...
Love the skin you're in!